Bramber (2014)

 


Bramber (2014) encapsulates a small strip of Sussex land through the seasons. Being a stones throw away from where I grew up, this land has always been secure and unmoving to me. The land itself is situated in the shadows of a ruined castle - forming part of its defensive ditches.  With these images I have intended to capture the evolving landscape and explore an area in which its purpose has changed due to geographical changes.

I followed in the same vein as from my previous project Danebury (2013), whereby I explored the ancient Danebury hillfort and its earthworks. I felt that with the conclusion of the project, I had left myself with both unanswered questions and a new insight on land I wished to explore. It is the atmospheric feel of a site laden with history that first made me look into the area. It is down to first hand visits and trips that led me to Bramber.
The decision to shoot and explore this area is down to some key points. For me, this strip of land seems alien in its own right. With this being the far least accessible of the defensive ditches, only those with enough purpose or muster venture through here. The numerous footprints in the mud give this away. Yet the feeling of the area doesn’t belay that of a well trodden thoroughfare. It feels hidden, almost remote and somewhat neglected. However, it is this lack of attention that allows it and nature to shine.
It is with these thoughts that I wished to photograph the area. Reading old historical accounts and looking at the lay of the land on maps, suggests the nearby river Adur took a much closer route. It appeared that the close arable fields were once marshes. With the changing of the seasons and the British rain staking claim, the landscape seemed to revert back to this ancient form. It was though with the seasonal weather came a time-honoured change. Almost like the weather could reverse centuries of landscape evolution and transform this patch into a time capsule. With these feelings in mind and this staggering change on hand, I found it to be imperative to incorporate this transient shift.


Left to Right:
Bramber 1 - 2014
Bramber 2 - 2014
Bramber 3 - 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment